During the 1950s in Chicago, if my memory serves me correctly, we had our choice of four channels: CBS on 2, NBC on 5, ABC on 7 and WGN on 9. Most shows were 30 minutes long and most people watched the hit shows, like I Love Lucy at 7:00 pm on Monday nights. Now there are so many channels that most people are watching different shows. My point is that in the early days of television, TV united us culturally while today TV is a divider.
- Brilliant Daily Show Segment Shows Exactly Why The US Can’t Pass New Gun Laws (businessinsider.com)
- Stephen Colbert Spins for Obama While Jon Stewart Savages President (breitbart.com)
Al Gore recently sold Current TV to Al-Jazeera. He has received some criticism for the fact that he made a lot of money on the sale. I don’t care how much money he made. I care that Al-Jazeera is a quality producer of real news that will finally offer Americans an alternative to the pabulum offered by NBC, CBS and ABC. If Al-Jazeera forces the three major networks to improve the quality of the news they offer and perhaps put FOX News out of business, I will cheer. We need better news coverage to preserve American democracy.
- Al Jazeera America Has Received More Than 8,000 Applications (buzzfeed.com)
- NBC’s Matt Lauer Grills Al Gore Over ‘Hypocrisy’ In Selling Current TV To Oil-Funded Al Jazeera (mediaite.com)
- Jon Rips Gore Over Al-Jazeera (foxnews.com)
- Gore Defends Current Sale to Oil-Backed Al Jazeera (freebeacon.com)
Who is Grover Norquist? He is the founder and CEO of Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), formerly Fairness for Families foundation, at www.atr.org Americans for Tax Reform only has 14 or so employees, yet this organization through its no tax increase pledge effectively governs the GOP in Washington and in many state capitals also. In California, many of the problems that faced Arnold S. and now face Jerry Brown in governing the state and raising sufficient revenue can be traced back to Grover Norquist and ATR. Grover Norquist has never been vetted nor elected to any office. Who does he represent and where does his funding come from?
Rolling Stone reported on Grover Norquist in their November 24, 2011 issue written by Tim Dickinson. CBS featured Grover on 60 Minutes on November 20, 2011. In his book Capitol Punishment, Jack Abramoff, a friend of Grover’s, stated that Grover is a genius, a “brilliant political strategist,” who labeled all his opponents “Bolsheviks.” Now the term that the Right uses is Marxist. The term Bolshevik has lost its sting, and Marxist is easier to spell.
Grover Norquist has operated in the shadows for far too long. If the corporate media will not expose his operations to the light of day and the informed scrutiny of the American public, then someone else must. I do not have the resources to do the job. I hope and trust that the independent media is up to the task.
- Grover Norquist Tells GOP That Raising Taxes On The Middle Class Doesn’t Count As A Tax Increase (mykeystrokes.com)
- At Least Grover Norquist Is Consistent (loyalopposition.blogs.nytimes.com)
- The Daily Show’s Samantha Bee Demolishes Grover Norquist (crooksandliars.com)
- Anti-Tax Crusader Grover Norquist Would Not Raise Taxes In Cases Of War, Natural Disaster, Or ‘Beard Flu’ (thinkprogress.org)
Everyone is against pork projects in someone else’s district, but in their own district, it’s not pork; it’s a bridge to somewhere, darn the cost.
It will replace the old Stillwater Lift Bridge.
Thursday, Congress finalized its approval of the $700 million bridge project.
Critics argued that it’s too expensive, and will hurt the environment.
Supporters say it will bring an economic boost to the area, and ease congestion.
Congresswoman Michele Bachmann was the House sponsor on the bridge and said when this project was finally pushed through, it was “absolute elation.”
“It was a thrill,” she said. “It was nip and tuck all the way through.””
I would like to know how much time this new bridge will save the Michele Bachmann family on their travel to and from the family farm in Wisconsin, the family farm that has received tens of thousands of dollars of Federal crop subsidies that Michele claims were never part of her income.