Afghanistan is rightly called a graveyard of empires. The natives gave Alexander the Great a hard time when he passed through on his way to India about 2300 years ago. More recently, neither Great Britain nor Russia was able to subdue Afghanistan for long. Now the US is finding how difficult a nut Afghanistan is to crack.
Some say that as the world’s only superpower, we have the right and the duty to rule the world. The rest of the world disagrees. Great Britain gave up its empire to preserve its democracy. Russia gave up its empire and never really achieved full democracy. What it did achieve is slowly slipping away. Now it is our turn to choose between empire and democracy and we must make our decision soon. I choose democracy.
- >surviving a Graveyard of Empires (stumptowntrade.wordpress.com)
- Alexander the Overlord (nightofzel.wordpress.com)
- Does Alexander the Great deserve the title of being Great (wiki.answers.com)
- War, What Was It Good For? Obama Announces Troop Removal from Afghanistan (chrisplack.wordpress.com)
- The graveyard hidden in a surgeon’s mind (kevinmd.com)
- Book Review: The Golden Mean: A Novel of Aristotle and Alexander the Great by Annabel Lyon (blogcritics.org)