During the Bush/Kerry campaign of 2004, I became dissatisfied with the political process and decided that I needed to take a more active part. In order to do that with sufficient knowledge, I decided that I needed to know more about American history. After 12 years of intense study, this is what I now know or think I know:
- Lee Harvey Oswald was innocent of JFK’s assassination. Then present or past CIA officials had a hand in the assassination.
- The Vietnam and the Iraq Wars were unnecessary. We were lied into both.
- The Bush administration permitted or helped bin Laden to escape from Tora Bora in Afghanistan in late 2001. Why? So that he would be alive and a threat to scare the American people in supporting the Global War on Terror and the invasion of Iraq.
- The US economy is a mixed economy of socialism and capitalism, socialism for the 1% and capitalism for the rest of us.
- Predatory lending by banks is not new. Banks lend other people’s money at high rates of interest making large profits and making many of us wage slaves. Too big to fail is too big to jail or to regulate properly.
- The purpose of insurance is to take in as much money as possible and pay out as little as possible.
- Globalization, outsourcing and offshoring are not inevitable. They are the result of how we compensate top management with stock options. Wall Street rewards downsizing and offshoring with higher stock prices. Thus there is a financial incentive for globalization.
- Racism is part of our DNA. We inherited some of it from our British ancestors.
- We reap what we sow. We supply the world with weapons and some of those weapons will be used against us.
- Unions made the middle class
The middle class makes democracy work
Therefore, unions are necessary for democracy.
- The media has always deferred to the 1%, with a few exceptions. Now with the ownership of media in fewer hands, there are fewer exceptions. Democracy requires better information than we are now receiving.
- Democracy cannot function with the huge disparities in wealth that now exist in the US. The solution is much higher taxes on the very wealthy.
- Congress is corrupt. Campaign cash and other forms of bribery, such as future jobs, must be removed from the political process.