Kabul in Winter, Life without Peace in Afghanistan by Ann Jones is what Afghanistan is like now for half its citizens, the female sex. Afghan men treat their women poorly, based on culture, not on religion. If a ruling male wants better treatment for the nation’s women, he can order it up to a point. Then the men revolt and the ruler is replaced by someone of sterner stuff.
Afghan women are subject to the rule and whims of the men in their lives, even male children. If a crime is committed against a woman, any crime, it is her fault and she will be punished by imprisonment if she is lucky, or death if she is not. Western efforts to improve the lot of Afghan women are making small forward steps, which one believes can be reversed at a moment’s notice.
- VIDEO: Cameron: ‘Kabul attack cowardly’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Interview: Heroin Addicts in Afghanistan: An Inside Look (prweb.com)
- Maybe It’s a Different Kabul? (findingmytribe.wordpress.com)
- Four Dead In Twin Suicide Bombing In Kabul (cbsnews.com)
- Kabul attack shows strategy failure (mirror.co.uk)
- Twin explosions rock British council compound in Kabul (guardian.co.uk)