Age discrimination in job hiring and firing is very widespread here in the US, much more so than most people believe. And most people believe that it can’t happen to them, until it does. I would still be working at age 70 if my most recent employer had not pushed me into retirement just before my 70th birthday. Not everyone is able to work to age 70 if their job requires strength and stamina. Fortunately my strength and stamina lasted until about 6 months before my retirement.
In a robust economy, it is often difficult for adults ages 50 and up to find employment. In this economy, I believe that it may be almost impossible. Discrimination because of age is illegal, but the law is difficult to enforce, even if the government wants to enforce it. Some of our legislators favor increasing the retirement age upwards toward 70 with eligibility for Social Security and Medicare happening later in life. I personally know several people who want to retire, but continue to work only because they are too young to qualify for Medicare.
As we enter our “golden years,” those of us who continue to work block promotion for younger workers. And what are the unemployed between ages 50 and 70 to do during those 20 years? Facing discrimination, they must feed themselves and their families until they reach age 70, if they are able to reach age 70 while denied adequate housing, nutrition and healthcare.
- Age commissioner to tackle discrimination (news.theage.com.au)
- Homeless Advocate or Homelessness Educator (thehomelessguy.blogspot.com)
- National Alliance to End Homelessness Releases Report on Elderly Homelessness (prweb.com)
- Homeless turn to Twitter for food, shelter – CNN.com (thankgodfortheshelter.com)
- Vancouver’s homeless becoming younger (theprovince.com)
- Jobs Report: Harsh News for Older Workers; Some Resources to Help (aarp.org)
- Should old people pay more for insurance? (confused.com)
- More on Faculty Hiring Age Discrimination Case (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- In an Age of Discrimination (pt5.psychologytoday.com)
- Is Age Discrimination an Issue in Job Search? (landingexpert.wordpress.com)
- MedZilla Reports: Overcoming Age Discrimination and Getting a Job (prweb.com)
- Employers Refuse to Give Unemployed a Chance, While Investing, Hiring in China (blogcritics.org)