Some on the Right believe that the Great Depression would have been shorter if FDR had not mishandled it. They argue that we should let the free market work its magic, no matter who suffers and for how long. Thus during the Great Recession, they want the government to keep hands off, and additionally, they want to abolish the remnants of FDR’s legacy like union protections and Social Security. What we are witnessing now in Washington is the desire of the GOP for a do over of the Great Depression to prove that their prescription is right and FDR was wrong. What they seem to forget or do not deem sufficiently important is that some believe that FDR prevented a revolution that would have destroyed capitalism. The GOP is courting what they claim to abhor, socialism or worse, worse from their viewpoint.
- Obama: FDR Was ‘Fiscally Conservative’ (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- David Woolner: Forgetting Lessons of Keynes and FDR Brings On the ‘Obama Recession’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt (time.com)
- Why FDR Should be remembered (wiki.answers.com)
- More Concrete Evidence That Barack Obama Is Mentally Incompetent (Video) (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Flirting with the Great Depression 2.0 (papundits.wordpress.com)