Some bloggers exalt republics and denigrate democracy as mob rule. Why do they do that? I believe they show disrespect for democracy because they don’t like majority rule. They believe that they, a minority, know better what is good for the country than the unwashed majority of voters. That is one of the reasons that the representatives of the 1% in the media frequently tell members of Occupy Wall Street to take a bath and get a job.
If majority rule, with protections for the minority, is really a problem for some voters, the answer I believe, is better education in general and better education in particular in American history and civics. The media in recent years has really failed in their job to educate voters and I believe that it is the result of the concentration of media ownership in a few corporate hands. The principal purposes of the media now are the generation of profits and the support of the GOP who support the 1%, rather than the fair and balanced supply of information needed by the voters.
- Ignorance and the Trouble with Democracy (izabael.com)
- What is Democracy? (61): A Euphemism for the Rule of Some Over Others? (filipspagnoli.wordpress.com)
- A Democracy? (theohioconservative.wordpress.com)
- Democracy: A Farce (rossbot.wordpress.com)
- 10 Ways Our Democracy Is Crumbling Around Us (alternet.org)